GAgives on #GivingTuesday 2019: A new record for giving in Georgia
ATLANTA – December 12, 2019. Once again this holiday season, the Georgia Center for Nonprofits (GCN) joined nonprofits, businesses, media partners, and thousands of individual Georgians to lead a statewide generosity movement: GAgives on #GivingTuesday 2019. In response, our state gave like never before, contributing more than $13.5 million to our state’s nonprofits, an increase of 73% over 2018!
That total includes more than $3.4 million through the official giving portal at GAgives.org, and $9.7 million across two dozen other donation platforms – the product of more than 14,000 individual donations.
For seven years in a row, GAgives has set new state records for giving, galvanizing more than $40.2 million in donations – and over 128,700 individual gifts – since its 2012 launch. Designed, deployed, and managed by GCN for the direct benefit of our state’s nonprofits, the GAgives campaign is amplified by corporate and foundation sponsors (contributing $1.27 million-plus to date), our media partners, and participating organizations, whose efforts and ingenuity always make an outsized impact.
GCN is honored to lead the state’s biggest giving movement, and we’re also proud to serve as the official state lead for #GivingTuesday, a generosity campaign reaching all 50 states and more than 150 countries. Each year, our campaign adds new resources to help nonprofits understand emerging challenges and turn them into opportunities. In 2019, we were glad to have new platform provider Mightycause behind the GAgives.org online donation platform, which provided a more powerful and user-friendly experience for nonprofits and donors alike.
And the giving tradition continues! Mark your calendars for next year’s GAgives on #GivingTuesday: December 1, 2020.
“What makes GAgives successful are thousands of ‘everyday philanthropists,’ who give what they can to the causes that mean something to them,” said GCN President & CEO Karen Beavor. “Making a donation for GAgives on #GivingTuesday contributes more than just dollars: The act of giving together with others amplifies the message that nonprofits matter, and that their work means something to us personally and to this state.”
People across the world have donated more than $1B through the #GivingTuesday movement to support local, national, and international causes. Henry Timms, co-founder of #GivingTuesday and ED of 92Y, calls it “a testament to the global spirit of generosity that may not always make it into the headlines, but is evident in every corner of America and around the world.”
Beyond funds raised, the GAgives initiative proves the power of collaboration among nonprofits, foundations, companies, governments, and individuals. We’d like to express our deepest appreciation for:
- Thousands of participating nonprofits, whose campaigns activated Georgians to support the causes they care most about – in funds donated and communications shared;
- Our generous prize sponsors The Coca-Cola Foundation, Mercedes-Benz, Aprio, Arby’s Foundation, Fifth Third Bank, and Gas South, motivating donors to take action with more than $270,000 in competition funding;
- Media partners WSB-TV Family 2 Family, 11 Alive/TEGNA Foundation and Atlanta & Co., Atlanta Business Chronicle, Georgia News Network, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, AutoTrader.com, Georgia Association of Broadcasters, and Cox Media Group, who covered nonprofit campaigners, provided expert advice, offered discounts on advertising, and more;
- Our gracious corporate and foundation partners, including Georgia’s Own Credit Union, 100 Peachtree, Autotrader, Chick-fil-A Foundation, ASO Advertising, Cox Enterprises, Southwest Airlines, and the Community Foundation for Greater Atlanta, who provide critical support and promotion;
- Atlanta Journal-Constitution Editorial Cartoonist Mike Luckovich, who created another gorgeous illustration to inspire giving;
- The #GivingTuesday team, whose partnership and vision strengthens our efforts to lead this global giving phenomenon for our state;
- GCN’s dedicated GAgives team, who have orchestrated this movement over the past eight years; and
- The countless businesses, civic leaders, and volunteers who contribute resources, expertise, and influence toward Georgia’s greater good on #GivingTuesday and all year long.
“When Georgians support nonprofits, they directly influence the quality of life locally and across the state,” said GCN President & CEO Karen Beavor. “GAgives on #GivingTuesday is the largest single day of generosity in Georgia, and we are grateful to everyone who gave, shared, linked, and tweeted, from our wonderful sponsors to our legions of 'everyday philanthropists,’ our media partners, and, of course, the wonderful nonprofits that make our communities great."
About #GivingTuesday and GAgives
Launched by the 92nd Street Y in 2012 and housed in its Belfer Center for Innovation & Social Impact, #GivingTuesday is a global movement inspiring people to take collaborative action for their local communities and contribute to the causes they believe in. The movement reaches millions of people, with campaigns and activities in all 50 states and 150 countries on the Tuesday after Thanksgiving and throughout the year.
Led by the Georgia Center for Nonprofits, the GAgives initiative hosts an online fundraising platform, GAgives.org, which is free to use for any registered 501c3 in the state; it also helps teach and mobilize everyone with a stake in the community – organizations, corporate sponsors, government agencies, media partners, and citizens – to raise awareness and support for nonprofits.
About the Georgia Center for Nonprofits
The Georgia Center for Nonprofits builds thriving communities by helping nonprofits succeed. Through a powerful mix of advocacy, solutions for nonprofit effectiveness, and insight building tools, GCN provides nonprofits, board members and donors with the tools they need to strengthen organizations that make a difference on important causes throughout Georgia. Learn more at gcn.org.
Georgia Center for Nonprofits