Building Momentum in Coastal Georgia
In November 2011, the Georgia Center for Nonprofits launched the Momentum Initiative in partnership with the Corporation for National Community Service and the St. Marys United Methodist Church Foundation.
An assessment conducted by the Georgia Center for Nonprofits in 2009 paved the way, identifying the depth of social problems faced by these communities and the daunting challenges faced by the nonprofits that serve them. The report documented a region on Georgia's coast – encompassing Charlton, Brantley, Camden, and Glynn counties – that faces some of the most persistent poverty, educational challenges, unemployment, health deficits, and negative housing conditions in the state. Momentum was designed specifically to help nonprofits tackle pressing needs and deliver greater community impact.
Nearly 100 nonprofits addressing issues ranging from feeding the hungry to helping youth graduate from high school on time to creating a sustainable coast are participating in this two year program, with a group of 25 “core” nonprofits committing to a more rigorous and thorough participation level that includes:
- Year-round participation in a progressive series of intensive learning opportunities focused on strategy development, performance management, and leadership development.
- Year-round elective participation in a Nonprofit Management Certificate Series curriculum.
- 20 hours of consulting services provided by a professional consultant specializing in nonprofit capacity building. Consultants work individually with each participant to provide guidance, assistance, and support as participants work to build their capacity.
- Peer learning and networking opportunities.
- Opportunity to receive up to $1,500 for minor capital investments or additional consulting.
After the first year of Momentum, we are already seeing tangible results. Jeff Barker, President of the St. Marys United Methodist Church Foundation, represents one of the largest grantmaking organizations in the coastal region and has worked closely with many of the nonprofits participating in Momentum.
“Since GCN launched Momentum, I have seen undeniable transformations in these nonprofits. From the quality of their proposals to their ability to deliver their mission, organizations have professionalized, increased their efficiency, and are ultimately increasing their impact in the community.”
- Jeff Barker, President, St. Marys United Methodist Church Foundation
To learn more about GCN’s coastal initiatives, please contact Dana Haza at email@example.com or 912-580-2695.